Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hard Drive Death and Chain Driven Lust

My hard drive took a vacation on me, and that's why I have virtually disappeared. Some people have blog stalkers and nasty comment leavers, I just have a lack of being prepared. Listen to me good, now, BACK UP EVERYTHING. Did ya' hear that? if you don't already do this, do it now, right now. Avoid the pain of losing you beloved files and then paying a greasy-haired guy with odd social skills too much of your hard-earned dough to fix it and get your life back.

and now for something completely different...

I'm in Texas again, yay! This blogger thing has opened up a world of bike riding possibilities! I rode with Chris. The details and pics are on his blog. We rode over the Colorado River, through some beautiful scenery of the rolling hill country (gorgeous spring time wilflowers included), and I saw a great big dam. The climbs had some intense moments. My ass was kicked. Chris just floats up the climbs.

I rented a bike to ride out here. It is sweet. A Lemond Zurich. Light, responsive, and fast. How sad I will be to return to my old steel wonder...and just when I was about to stop buying bike parts and hence free up my extra cash each month, along comes new bike lust. This is how addiction gets started...

Something else occurred to me while out on this bike, too. Bikes are kind of like lovers, or really, they become the other in a pretty significant relationship. I felt guilty liking this new bike. I felt like I was betraying my custom frame back home, with its beautiful lugs. It has been so faithful to me, you know? But this new carbon bike, God, it got the juices flowing in a way my old bike just can't.

Tonight I am going to a race. Yep, you read that right. I, who do no training, am going to race a Criterium with college girls from UT. After I get past feeling old and silly, I think it will be fun. Especially on this rented bike.

I'll keep you informed, race fans!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Sweet - you are too kind about my climbing, but thanks. I had a great time riding with you and hope we can do it again very soon.

I hope you did good at the races. I wish I could have gone this week.

How do i get to my old stuff said...

How'd the race go????! So curious.... and I wouldn't worry too much about sharing your love among multiple bikes. They're each special to you in their own way. :)