Monday, September 1, 2008

My Life in Junk

A few weeks ago I couldn't shut my file drawer. I put in a retirement savings quarterly report or something like that. Stuff I think I should save. And then, it was full. This big fat drawer was stuffed full of my life's minutiae. I couldn't close it.

So I cleaned it out.

Tax returns back to 1991.

Old papers I wrote in college when I thought I was brilliant and insightful. Comments from instructors in the margins asking me to dig deeper into the text. How bored they must have been with my sophomoric musings written only to get that degree my parents always wanted for me. How smart I thought I was back then.

Warranties for things I do not even own anymore.

A drawer full of psychic junk.

Emptied. Except for the necessities?

It's only half full, now.

Like my future's glass.

4 comments:

Mark Davidson said...

Nice post. It's good to let go of the little stuff.

Sweet Cheeks said...

...and I bet you got rid of a lot of stuff when you moved, too...

Mark Davidson said...

Not enough. We'll be getting rid of stuff for the next year.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

oh how I've been there.

how are you doing, Dawn?