Sunday, March 18, 2007

Where Oh Where Has My Little Blog Gone?

Wow, lots of stuff happening these days. No time to blog, but here's the enthralling highlights of the last week:

I went to school in London in 1987, and discovered the Cornish Pasty. Now I have a pal from Britain living up in Sausalito, and his mom came out to visit him. I was told that she would send me home with homemade pasties if I made an appearance. So, up I went last weekend and got my flaky crusted meat and veggie filled delights: pasties, and a little too drunk in the bargain.
By the way, do British people normally do cheers everytime they drink anything? I arrived at the house. A beer was cracked. "Cheers!" We went to a bar and got a beer. "Cheers!" We sat at the table and water was served. "Cheers!" I went to the bathroom, and beers appeared. "Cheers!" I woke up the next day and a Cappucino was made. "Cheers!" Mum made us a fried breakfast and I had a glass of orange juice. "Cheers!" I am not exaggerating.

So, came home later to a bike racer from New Mexico out for a visit. I let him park his motorhome in my driveway and showed him the pie ride. He was here all week, and what a life this guy has designed for himself. He does freelance writing and indexes books, all remotely. He and his dog drive his motorhome around the country doing stage races and climbing the upgrade ladder. He emails cycling girls near his racing destinations and gets them to take him on rides. We rode 44 miles one day, and Gizdich Ollalie-Apple pie was included. What a lifestyle! Some people really know how to work it. If only I wanted to live in a motorhome...



Finally, I met my new teammates for the 24 Hours of Adrenaline. The Tits of Steel Billy Cross 8 hour team is being resurrected. Two of its founding members have returned. Three have been added. On our bonding ride today I finally conquered all of Mailbox. Why didn't anyone who I ride with ever tell me I've done harder stuff? I've had a mental block against that trail for years. It was cake, I tell ya'! The other good news is that I now have met more cool women to ride with here in Santa Cruz, being that some people got schmoopy and left the area. Others just got too fast for little old me. Anyway, technical skills up, personal demon confronted, and all's better because I have another chance to ride with cool local girls who don't mind a slow climb and a tricky descent. Ahhhh....

So there is it blogger fans. The weather's beautiful, the clocks have changed, and I'm once again having grand adventures!

7 comments:

Chris said...

Glad you are back! Which one are you in the picture?

Sweet Cheeks said...

the one with the photoshopped boobs (althugh without digital enhancement they're prety good, too). Just a sweet little present from good old gin
back in the day.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

we've missed you......at least me!

ginmtb said...

Why yes, they’re real… and they're spectacular!

I was wondering if you were ever going to use that one. My skillz have improved since then but I must say I enjoy looking at that one...

marscat said...

i was wondering about that photo...

and cornish pasties are the best. you can also get them in Sydney.

Chris said...

Sweet - I think the best place to rent a high end road bike is Bicycle Sport Shop (www.bicyclesportshop.com). They basically have 3 levels of road bikes to choose from. They are the largest and most stocked shop in Austin by far.

When exactly are you coming to Austin? It would be cool to ride with you if you have some time.

How do i get to my old stuff said...

"tits of steel" that's hilarious. you are so fortunate to live where there are enough women who bike that u can put a team like that together. :)