Saturday, June 16, 2007

English Teachers Aren't Very Good with Mechanical Stuff...

Hi Blogger Fans!

I'm writing you from the sidewalk in front of my apartment, relishing the successful installment of my wireless router. Why is she on the side walk you ask? Well, dear reader, it is a story that begins long ago when I ordered some bike parts...

Bike building. Oh the agony and the ecstasy. Team sponsorship. Oh the payments we make when we try to save! Getting help from friends and making new foes along the way...

The good news is that she's almost done. She is being completed with loving care at by Casey of the Spokesman this very moment. I came across a stumbling block that neither I nor the ever resourceful DJ could handle at the home shop level (read: couldn't get the info we needed to complete the job without buying a bunch of mounting brackets and committing a lot of time to trial and error).

The trials of this endeavor: Front derailleurs come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and function capabilities, I ordered the wrong one. Owner's manuals don't tell you much. Warehouse monkeys will give you three mounting brackets all identical to each other, and each inappropriate for the rotor you're trying to fit. Each person on the chain of getting things done has a different opinion, and sometimes those opinions are in conflict.

What I've learned in the end is that all decisions are truly mine, and I've done the best I can with making them. I've also learned that I need help, lots of it.

Back to the sidewalk, after learning so much about bike stuff, I've decided to take stuff apart on my car to change a light assembly.
I read the manual, got out my tools, and soon learned that in cars some places are blocked by lots of other parts. I'm waiting for a car mechanic friend to come over and save me from myself. Like I said, I need lots of help...

2 comments:

How do i get to my old stuff said...

the can do attitude rox, tho. I admire your determination to do it on your own. As for me, i call those kinds of jobs "knuckle skinners" and avoid 'em when possible. :)

Chris said...

That car may never be the same. :)