Sunday, February 24, 2008

Wisdom I Have Gained and Fears of the Unknown

The Bike Life
I signed up to be in another endurance team event. I'm stoked because it's going to be basically a party with bikes in the woods with my some of my favorite people: the Team Wrong Way Boys, who put together a massive team roster. I've been placed on a team with two of my favorite friends: Jeni and Heather. I am told this is Heather's beer season and Jeni has been focusing on school and work. I plan to be the slower teammate despite hard effort, because both of these women kick ass, even without training.

Still, I don't want to be miserable out there, so I've begun to ride more consciously.The last time I did one of these " just for fun" eight hour events, the day following the event I awoke with a huge swollen knee I couldn't stand on. It took a couple of years to fully recover.

I have been the laziest climber since last September's 24 Hour Race, and I've done pretty much no long rides. So, I'm back in the saddle for long slow rides, and trying to ride with someone who kicks my ass at least one a week. Not exactly a world-class racer's training plan, but I figure that this will at least prep my body to avoid Synovitis brought on by sudden overuse.

Coming to Terms with New Frontiers in the Romance Life
Being 39 years old, my dating pool is full of single-dads. I like them because they've got more heart and tend to be dedicated to their kids (which is so darn wholesome), in contrast to a lot of men my age who are just dedicated to themselves. I still get amazed that there's lots of dating to be had at my age, being that I assumed I expired at 35 according to common knowledge of male behavior and preferences for youth. That aside, there's this whole new world of kids to deal with.

Now , I'm not afraid of becoming a step-mom someday. I've got step-parents on both sides of the family, and step-siblings, too. I've been a nanny more than once, and I am a teacher. Guiding kids and managing kids' behavior doesn't scare me at all (even if managing an ex-wife does).


However, last night I had a dream. I was giving kids a bath. I don't remember what they looked like, but I do remember clearly seeing a narrow shelf at the top of the wall on which I had placed a laptop and speakers. Although the shelf was about three inches wide, the laptop and speakers were perfectly balanced.

I was trying to watch something on the computer screen. In my dream I had a consciousness that it was risky to have electronics over the bathtub, but I did it anyway. Of course, the computer and the speakers fell in the tub. Because it was a dream, I had lots of time to react.

My first thought was to be upset that the laptop was ruined. Then I realized I could be electrocuting the kids. I told them to get out of the tub, then I unplugged everything. I received a minute shock in the process, like when you touch something that gives you that little jolt. Nothing happened to the kids.

What's it all mean? I don't know for sure.

2 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I agree, life is over after 35. right. and you know I'm older than you......

Sweet Cheeks said...

Yeah, surprisingly, I'm finding men to be less stereotypical than I had been warned about.
It probably also helps that I'm in shape...