Thursday, January 25, 2007

Life and How to Live It

Last weekend I was talking to someone who is at a crossroads. He was asking for advice on which path to take. Anyone who sees my car and my apartment would probably suggest this wandering soul look elsewhere for enlightenment.

The question brought back a conversation I had with Ms. Bella a while back. I don't recall what we were talking about other than the reasons for doing what you do. I'm sure I had some sort of duty to social justice in my head, and she said something along the lines of, "Or for passion." I remember thinking, "You do all of that work that you do, and you feel passionate?" I always thought that passion was super exciting and fun all of the time. I didn't think it involved emails and databases, mortgages and car payments. I knew for sure that it included riding bikes, and everyone's favorite: sex. Ms. Bella has got the passion, though. What a role model.

But there's so much more, isn't there?



I think I've figured it out, this living passionately thing. It's about choosing what you do, choosing to do it well, and cutting your losses once they're obvious.


One of my co-workers' daughters is very, very ill. He spent a half an hour explaining everything to us. She has a 10% chance of living a year, a lower chance of living until she's five. This guy lives more passionately than anyone I've ever met. There's so much love, joy, and excitement in him, and what's happening to him is unreal. And it is not fair. He talked about having to choose whether or not his baby should get chemo, or to just let her go. He talked about his suffering. And he finished with this, "I am luckier than most parents. I get to know how valuable my family is. I get to know what is important. This suffering has taught me how to live."

He blew my mind. We were crying for his pain, and then he made us feel better.


That's the ultimate in living passionately.


So, what advice did I give to the seeker?

Do what you love, show your children how to live passionately.

Don't live resentfully by working for only security.

Make life happen with as little compromise as you can.


How long do we really have, afterall?

5 comments:

Chris said...

The story of your coworker is very sad.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Make life happen.....that says it all in my mind.

And I'm filled with passion again....isn't it great?

~ lauren said...

i'm passionate about having fun.

enjoying it all while you can, since it doesn't last forever.

make it as enjoyable as you can.

Sweet Cheeks said...

Chris - I know, I am still in awe of how he doesn't freak out more often.

Velogirl - yes, passion is awesome! I'm starting to learn how to have lots of fun everyday!

Lauren - with you - fun is so important!

How do i get to my old stuff said...

Great post. And I don't know about fun, but I suppose it comes in different forms. When I'm a turnin' the cranks hard and my legs are burnin' and it hurts, really hurts, I don't know if I can say I'm having fun, but damn, it is a passion and giving something all I got is a certain kind of fun.